Tuesday, September 6, 2016

Day 6 of 30 to a More Organized You

Today is our sixth day to having a more organized month.
Let's do this!



Challenge
Repeat after me: "Yes" and "No."

We really can't do it all. Focus on giving 100 percent effort to your real interests and priorities, instead of partial effort to everything.


When your participation is requested and it just doesn't fit with your life style, say "no" graciously. Try saying this: "I'm flattered you thought of me. But my schedule is full at the moment, and I can't give the project the attention it deserves. Thanks for thinking of me."


Of course, you also need to practice saying "yes." Feel awkward about accepting assistance? Try, "Thanks, I'm sure that would make it easier on me. And I hope you'll let me return the favor."

Our Writers' Responses
Meredith
As much as I would love to be able to do everything myself and exactly the way I want (thanks to my OCD), it just isn't possible. I can't even begin to explain how many times through my day, that I have to constantly remind myself of how busy my week already is and I couldn't possibly take on another "project." Stuff happens and it's okay to say "no." Even though I hate doing it.


Being a single mother has taught me that there are times where it is okay to ask for help. My pride sometimes gets the best of me, but I have to remind myself that I'm not the only single mother and many single mom's have accomplished so many things they put their minds to, by accepting help from others.

Tami
This is something that I'm horrible with. I find it very hard to say 'no' to people, because I hate to let them down. This is why I constantly feel overwhelmed - because I feel like I have to do everything, even though I don't. Definitely something I'm determined to work on!

Shannon
One of my biggest issues? Saying no. I am absolutely terrified of letting people down. I suppose this has made me something of a people pleaser. I worry about being seen as a flaky friend - or someone who refuses to commit. This has caused me to overextend myself time and time again. This is true at work, with writing jobs, and in my personal relationships. It is only recently that I have started to put myself first. I have said no to unrealistic writing assignments (like expecting 25 travel articles to be written in a single night. For three dollars a pop!) and stressful social gatherings (that are far away and difficult to get to). It took me a while, but I have finally realized that I cannot do it all... and that is okay. I am going easier on myself and making my needs a priority.

Deanna
This is such an important thing to know! I'm so bad for it, when it comes to my family and the few friends I consider very close! It takes a lot of work to train yourself to say "no" to others, but it's when you should start learning to say "no"!

Denise
It is tempting to try and do it all - but it's not realistic. The media and society often tries to tell us we can have it all and be it all. That never worked for me. I found I could have it all - just not at the same time. Sometimes we must make sacrifices - for our family, for our children, for our jobs and our ambitions. That is okay. However, I believe we must also make sure we say yes to at least a few things that bring us pleasure and say no to the things that don't add value to our lives or the lives of people we love.

No comments:

Post a Comment