Sunday, April 24, 2016

Single Girl in a Digital World

Hello Everyone,

I've been (officially) single for a little over a year now and the entire world around me is either dating, engaged, or married. I guess seven years of being off the market will do that to you!

Instead of asking our friends to introduce us to their cute friends, we can now have our choice of potential dates served to us on a shiny silver platter... or rather, in the palm of our hand through various dating websites and apps.



I've searched through a few different websites without expectations. I was curious about it for someone who likes to stay up to date with the app market, I needed to see why 24 million people were signed up. I figured out almost instantly that the simple concept and immediate satisfaction was probably a huge reason for that kind of use base, especially in a world where everybody wants everything to be quick, easy, and effortless.

I found myself constantly swiping through various profiles, both men and women, because I wanted to see how each gender advertised themselves as the "perfect mate."

I'm pretty internet savvy and could probably find somebody in half an hour if I really wanted to. What I'm concerned with is - the other persons intentions. Even if you meet someone you like, who's to say they're not still chatting it up with a personal selection of attractive contenders?

Dating or "hooking up" has never been as easy as it is today. In the past, we didn't have a page full of guys (or girls) we could choose from (or use) as our secondary choices if one didn't work out. For some reasons we now feel entitled to our batches of matches and maybe even have the idea that they're disposable.

I've always enjoyed the idea of getting to know someone before meeting them in person, which is probably why my past relationships have started this way (excluding high school). You usually get to know more about a person from chatting beforehand (online) than you would on a first date. Plus, it takes the pressure off of meeting someone you might not like since that general attraction has already been established.

Did you meet your significant other through a dating site? Please tell us your experiences.

~Meredith

No comments:

Post a Comment