Saturday, April 23, 2016

Job Title: "Lifestyle Blogger" ?

Hello Everyone,

I'm a full-time blogger. Blogger? Is that an official job title these days? Can you put that on your resume without receiving a chuckle from a potential job?



Seven years ago, if you asked me what I did for a living, the answer would have been simple. "I'm a college student." For a college student, that is a full-time job...studying for finals is nerve wrecking, no matter what degree you're aiming for.

Describing what I do has become a little tougher over the past couple of years. When people ask me what I do for a living now, I stumble over my words and my job description usually comes out with something like "I'm a stay-at-home-mom (SAHM)." As soon as those words leave your lips, most companies lose interest in you. You've clearly been out of the working world for a while... Almost as though you don't know what direction you want to take. But honestly, why should we have to pick just one direction?

Blogging in itself doesn't exactly have a reputation yet as being a full-time gig. I wish! I've made the choice in the past to try and keep things simple and tell people what I was simply a "blogger" and have been met with all kinds of confused reactions.

Having to explain what I do isn't something I enjoy...at all. What used to be easy has become a metal task. How do you explain to someone, with one sentence, that you have an amazing job doing what you love to do that utilizes all of the skills you have?

I don't have the answers, but I do know that no job title should completely define anyone.

Tell us how you explain being a blogger to potential businesses.

~Meredith

No comments:

Post a Comment