Saturday, September 3, 2016

Day 3 of 30 to a More Organized You

Today is our third day to having a more organized month.
Let's do this!


Challenge
Manage the paper monster once and for all.

For starters, designate one spot for incoming mail. Without a precise landing area, it ends up scattered around the house.


Claim a desk, counter-top or rolling file cart for your paperwork center. Equip it with top-notch mailing and filing supplies, like hanging folders, labels, markers, a letter opener and stamps.


Transform piles into files. Your folders should represent categories pertinent to your family's activities, such as finances, school, children, insurance, house and hobbies.


Start with this week's papers and work forward. Don't fret about attacking the entire backlog today. With a new system in place, you can work through that bit by bit.


Our Writers' Responses
Meredith
This one seriously made me laugh, as I've been planning for the last month on what I need to do with the pile of papers and other random stuff that is taking over my desk. I constantly try to stay busy, even being a stay-at-home-mom of a very hyper toddler who likes to climb on everything. I have a job that allows me to work from home, which at Mark's age, is a complete blessing. But, half of my work's papers and products are scattered on my desk, as well as article topics and research for future post notes.



As you can see by messy desk, I'm busy. Ironically enough, my work planner is right where it usually is (because I've been planning multiple parties for September), but everything else is just stacked or pushed aside. I have files in place, just to the left of where the picture cuts off. I haven't been using them lately, but today is definitely the day to tackle this messy desk.


I think that everyone has a form of "messy" and it is on everyone's to-do list to be clean or work from a clean space for at least one day out of the week. It's a goal and a constant battle with ourselves that we have to overcome. Take before and after pictures and show us in the comment section what area you organized.


Shannon


Paper is something I constantly have strewn about. As a write (and a self-confessed pack rat), it is amazing how quickly it piles up. Story ideas, old Christmas cards, articles, research, and everything in between. Getting organized has been on my to-do list for far too long. So, the challenge came at the perfect time for me! I started by picking up a small filing shelf from IKEA. Then I went through the giant stack of papers that has been on my floor for months. Some papers went int the shredder and others found a new home in the filing shelf. One thing I know? Progress is good.

Tami
I don't have a very big problem with paper clutter in my house. After I read The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up, I created systems for organizing a lot of things. I should honestly probably upgrade my systems though, haha.

Right now, I'm using an expanding file folder for my important documents and things like that. And my mail goes into the little thing I made out of cereal boxes (got the idea from Pinterest, of course!). I should probably sort through the mail that's in it right now :).

No comments:

Post a Comment