Wednesday, September 14, 2016

Day 14 of 30 to a More Organized You

Today is our fourteenth day to having a more organized month.
Let's do this!


Challenge
Chill out.

Clear out leftovers from the back of the freezer. Wipe out the compartments and run ice cube trays through the dishwasher.

From now on, use masking tape and a permanent marker to label containers before freezing. Don't forget to write down the date!

Our Writer's Responses
Meredith
Without realizing it, you can lose track of what you bought over the course of a few weeks, simply by placing it in the freezer. Leftovers that are either poorly marked or unmarked are sitting in your freezer right now, awaiting for their disposal. I would suggest doing this on a weekend, where you have time to unload your entire freezer (no matter the size), go through everything, and trash anything you can't identify. If you use anything for big meals and put it back in the freezer, do a few of my tips: 1. double bag (to protect your freezer and future clean up), 2. Tape an index card to the outside of the bag, 3. Take a sharpie and write the contents name, date and any preheat instructions.

Denise
Having a garden and shopping at farmers' markets means I always have a full freezer. A good book on food preservation is essential. Yet, I find the most important thing is to label everything and be sure to include dates. Each week, take a quick review of your freezer when doing your meal planning.

Shannon
It is amazing how it happens. You go shopping and pick up a few items. Then you do the same the next time and the time after that. Before long, your freezer is full of things that need to be eaten. Stat! That is exactly what happened to my husband and I. We suddenly realized that our fridge and freezer were totally stuffed. That is why we have stopped shopping for anything except essentials (like bread, milk, and eggs) while we finish off the food we have. Only when our freezer is clear are we allowing ourselves to do a big grocery store trip. Not only is this helping us save money, but it is helping us organize the inside of our freezer. One day at a time!

Tami
I actually clean out my refrigerator weekly, and my freezer a couple of times a month. I can't stand a messy fridge/freezer! :)

Deanna
This makes finding things so much easier! I'm a huge fan of meal prep. With my busy lifestyle, it's always nice to put a day off aside, so I can make sure I don't have to worry about dinners for a while!

No comments:

Post a Comment