Friday, August 12, 2016

24 Hours Without Complaining

Written By: Deanna

Have you seen this quote? I like it, a lot and I have for a long time. I love the idea of challenging yourself to be happier. So, I decided to give it a shot - after all what did I have to lose, right?


Today, I want to tell you all about how that day went... and it didn't go too bad if I do say so myself!


The one thing I notice about half way though the day, was that I'm not a very complain-y person. I don't complain a lot, but that doesn't mean I'm not negative. So, it was easy for me not to complain, what I had to change was being negative. After all, I wanted a challenge and not complaining wasn't challenging enough for me.

After I made that modification, I had the chance to really sink into this and see how it was going to go. I have to admit, I was pretty amazed. The best part to me was that I was more aware of my negative thoughts, and negative people around me. It really put things in to perspective about how I was thinking and all the time I was wasting being snarky. Which meant, I had something to focus on not doing.

The question now is ~ can someone force themselves not to be negative and/or complain?

I believe the answer is year, from my experience. Did I make it the whole day without complaining? Yes. Did I make it the whole day without being negative? No, but I was able to catch myself when I was being negative and that meant I was able to keep myself in check and ensure I wasn't getting caught up in being that way. It meant I was able to learn from my own experiences and be able to challenge myself again in the future.

I wish I'd kept track of everything throughout the day, so I could give you a detailed account, but the truth is that it was a pretty normal day. I walked my dog, worked out, did some stuff around the house for my grandma - nothing special, except for the fact that I felt I had a mission. A challenge that I wanted to rise to.

7 comments:

  1. Love this! I don't complain much out loud, but definitely do a lot in my head. I need to do this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never complained much out loud so for the longest time I thought "I don't need to do this!" But I'm glad I did, even though I'm not a huge complainer, I made it work for me as a challenge. If you do try it please let me know how it goes! I love hearing about what happens when people challenge themsleves even just a little!

      Delete
  2. That is a really great idea! I wish I my boys could go a day without complaining ;) They are pretty young to understand, but maybe I can help them by setting a better example. Thanks for the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. You're very welcome! Young is a great age to start them at :) And often times it can be a great game- just like it's a challenge for you! I bet you could all come out learning something pretty awesome, though! If/when you do give it a shot I'd LOVE to hear about it!

      Delete
  3. Ugh, this is so so so good!!! I need to do this!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do it! *Inserts motivational emoji* and when you are finished let us know how it goes, pretty please! It really is an awesome experience!

    ReplyDelete