Saturday, June 4, 2016

Unique and Creative Modifications

Hello Everyone,


Last year, I came across an article that I wanted to get everyone's opinions about, but I was too busy with my little one to be able to sit down and write a post. I'm not so busy anymore... his Nana has him!

Back when I was 18, I traveled for Destin, Florida, for a graduation present from a friend. During the trip, I decided to try henna for the first time. Not sure if I kept it on too long, but I had a bad reaction to it and instead of having a design for two weeks, I ended up having it for little over a month. I ended up having to go to the doctor to get a prescription cream to help treat it.
I had big plans on getting my grandfather's dog tags tattooed on me. I even had the drawing already thought out. It was very detailed. After talking to my doctor about the allergic reaction to henna, my dreams of getting a tattoo became very slim. I'm allergic to henna... henna and tattoo ink, believe it or not, have one chemical that is exactly the same. Ugh! The chance of tattoo ink not bothering me is possibly 1%. The only way to know for sure, is to get a tattoo - even a dot. The unfortunate part about it, is that if my body reacts badly, I could possibly need a blood transfusion. I'm not liking those odds. I'll pass - thanks.

But, in the article last year, CDC released information about tattoos, piercings and body modifications being, for lack of a better word, contagious. (Raising my eyebrow.) Anyone who has any of these, know that they can cost $-$$$$. It all depends on what kind of work you plan on getting done.

They believe that individuals who partake in those activities are creative thinkers and are unique problem solvers (why, thank you).

Then the turn of the article was when they mentioned that those 'creative thinkers' could possibly be associated with having Body Dysmorphic Disorder (BDD). I had to look this one up. I've never heard of it, but that doesn't mean that it doesn't exist.

According to Medicine Net, Body Dysmorphic Disorder is a mental illness characterized by a preoccupation with minor or imaginary physical flaws, usually of the skin, hair, and nose. Symptoms include excessive anxiety and stress about the perceived defect that can lead to compulsive behaviors. For more information, click here.

What do you think?

~Meredith

No comments:

Post a Comment